Monday, June 07, 2004

04/06/4- 07/06/04 Salvador

This is a fabulous town, full of really old lovely buildings and the old town, where we were staying, had a carnival atmosphere all the time. The music was amazing and the whole place is set up so that you can´t help but get involved. On Sunday we were walking back from a trip out to the beach and stumbled across the gay parade which was brilliant.

We did do a bit of the cultural thing whilst we were here and visited the churches and museums which were stunning. We also took a few trips out to the beaches for the sunsets and the fresh water lake which I am sure is lovely provided it isn´t raining. It was funny to see everyone jump out of the lake and run for cover to avoid getting wet though.

I managed to get a dodgy tummy from eating some wierd food thing from a street vendor but Roger told me that I had to as it was a local tradition. Other than that and getting completely soaked in a downpour on our last day we had a fantastic time here.


See those people in costume in the background? They are some of the many obnoxious people one encounters in Salvador who will try and sell tourists junk trinkets and wishes and such like. It was quite a game avoiding their attention though I felt it was a bit of a drain and, gentrified and fun etc. as Salvador was, I did feel like I was in pergutory.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home